There are many causes of neck pain. It is important to make an accurate diagnosis of the cause of your neck pain so that appropriate treatment can be directed at the cause.
Risk Increases by:
- Sitting for long periods and bending your head /neck forward. (desk work, cooking, etc.) Participation in sports without warming up (stretches).
- Sharp increase in athletic activity (weekend athlete)
- Poor posture with sitting – sleeping.
- Frequent travel on planes.
- Falling asleep sitting up. (head hanging down)
Tips for Preventing Neck Pain
- Posture: It is important that when you are spending long hours in front of the computer or doing something repetitive that you keep your shoulders relaxed, chin tucked in, head level and chest lifted. Think tall.
- Sleeping: We advise that you generally avoid sleeping on your stomach as this can place a lot of strain on the ligaments, joints and muscles.
- Relaxation: Take note of when you are feeling stressed. You may be slouching or tensing your shoulders without realising.
- Work: Make sure your workstation is correctly set-up. Avoid spending prolonged hours in one position. Stretch regularly to loosen tight muscles.
- Exercise: Muscle imbalance is a common problem for many people. Your physio can assess your posture, muscle strength and joint mobility, and prescribe specific exercises to help you keep your neck working efficiently.
Please call your .
You can now Book 24/7 Online! Click onto the button on the right hand of the screen.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.