Here are some tips on how to develop challenging, lasting and meaningful goals for 2016.
Top 10 goal-setting tips
- Make only one resolution. Your chances of success are greater when you channel energy into changing just one aspect of your behaviour.
- Don’t wait until New Year’s Eve to think about your resolution and instead take some time out a few days before and reflect upon what you really want to achieve.
- Avoid previous resolutions. Deciding to revisit a past resolution sets you up for frustration and disappointment.
- Don’t run with the crowd and go with the usual resolutions. Instead think about what you really want out of life.
- Break your goal into a series of steps, focusing on creating sub-goals that are concrete, measurable and time-based.
- Tell your friends and family about your goals. You’re more likely to get support and want to avoid failure.
- Regularly remind yourself of the benefits associated with achieving your goals by creating a checklist of how life would be better once you obtain your aim.
- Give yourself a small reward whenever you achieve a sub-goal, thus maintaining motivation and a sense of progress.
- Make your plans and progress concrete by keeping a handwritten journal, completing a computer spreadsheet or covering a notice board with graphs or pictures.
- Expect to revert to your old habits from time to time. Treat any failure as a temporary setback rather than a reason to give up altogether.
Please call your Physiotherapist at Point Cook Physiotherapy on (03) 9395 3499 or visit our clinic at Level 1, Suite 504, 4 Main Street, in Point Cook Town Centre for more information.